Moist Turkey Roasting Instructions:
* One thawed, 10-12 pound turkey
* Melted butter to be used for moistening the bird
* Salt and pepper
* Roasting pan and wire poultry rack
* Meat thermometer
* Pastry brush
1. Start by placing the oven rack in the lowest position.
2. Set out a one quart saucepan on the stove top and fill half full with cold water and one teaspoon each of salt and pepper.
4. Remove the turkey from its packaging, remove neck and giblets from inside the bird’s cavity, rinse them and place in the sauce pan. Set the sauce pan burner temperature to simmer and cook until done 2 hours or so.
5 Rinse the turkey, both inside and out, using cold water.
6. Place the oven rack in the lowest position.
7. Put the turkey inside the roasting pan, with the breast side up, on a roasting rack
8. Brush the bird’s exterior with the melted butter to help moisten it.
9. Using salt and pepper, sprinkle the turkey’s body and cavity to season it to taste.
* As a rule of thumb, the un-stuffed turkey should be roasted 10 to 12 minutes per pound. I never put the bread stuffing in the turkey because I use the turkey drippings later in both the stuffing and gravy recipes.
* Uncovered turkeys result in a brown exterior that is more appealing, so I cook the turkey covered with an aluminum foil tent shaped down around the bird for 2/3 of the cooking time and uncovered for the final 1/3. Basting it with it’s juices, browns the bird, sealing in the remaining juices, resulting in a very moist turkey.
More Thanksgiving Day Dinner Recipes: Gravy From Scratch , Homemade Stuffing , Ambrosia, Cranberry Relish, Sweet Potato Casserole, Green Bean Casserole, Parker House Dinner Rolls, Shopping List For Thanksgiving Dinner